Office of the City Clerk 491 E. Pioneer Avenue
Homer, Alaska 99603
Jo Johnson, CMC, City Clerk (907) 235-8121
Melissa Jacobsen, CMC, Deputy City Clerk II ext: 2224, 2226, or 2227
Renee Krause, CMC, Deputy City Clerk I Fax: (907) 235-3143
M E M O R A N D U M 11-085
TO: Mayor Hornaday and Homer City Council
FROM: Transportation Advisory Committee
DATE: June 2, 2011
SUBJECT: Recommending Right Turns Only off Streets Between Pioneer Avenue and Lake Street
At the May 17, 2011 regular meeting of the Transportation Advisory Committee the Committee discussed and approved a recommendation to make the roads between Lake Street and Pioneer Avenue, which access the bypass, right turn only thoroughfares during the summer when our traffic increases substantially.
The Committee considered the following points:
• Many small towns use this type of traffic control.
• There is no need to acquire rights-of-way.
• It maintains the integrity of the bypass as it does not stop or slow down traffic.
• It may only increase travel time by a few minutes.
• Right turn only signs could be installed over stop signs and removed after labor day.
• The cost of signage is minimal compared to the cost of a traffic light.
• There has been no visible progress from the State in dealing with the traffic issues at Main Street.
The Committee acknowledged the challenges that may be encountered as it is a State right-of-way and there are steps that will need to be taken to get ADOT approval for this plan.
Recommendation: Direct the City Manager to write a letter to the appropriate parties of Alaska DOT and ask the state to look into the feasibility and do the necessary studies for this project.
Fiscal Note: Staff time and cost of signage.