CITY OF HOMER
PUBLIC WORKS TELEPHONE (907)235-3170
3575 HEATH STREET HOMER, AK 99603 FACSIMILE (907)235-3145
TO: Walt Wrede, City Manager
FROM: Carey Meyer, Public Works Director
DATE: April 4, 2012
RE: Term Contract –Professional Engineering Services
Water and Sewer Projects
RFP Results and Award Recommendations
In April of 2011, the City Council passed Resolution 11-043 authorizing the City Manager to “prepare and issue a set of RFP’s” … “one for civil work, one for water and sewer, and one for port and harbor”. Term contracts increase the City’s efficiency and productivity, especially now when there are many public works projects funded and scheduled for design in the next few years. These water and sewer projects include:
• Sewer Treatment Plant Improvements, including intake, treatment and outfall component renovations.
• Various sanitary sewer collection and water distribution system extension projects established through the City’s Local Improvement District (LID) process.
• Water Storage/Distribution System Improvements, including construction of a new water tank, transmission main extension, and pressure reduction vault installation.
• Update of City’s 2005 water/sewer master plan.
• Alternative Water Source feasibility study.
• Micro-Hydro turbine installation in transmission main PRV vaults.
The intent of the Public Works Director, with the support of the City Manager, was to select a large multi-disciplined firm to complete larger, more complex projects; and a smaller, local firm which could respond quickly and cost effectively to smaller projects.
In February 2012, Public Works issued an RFP for professional engineering services for water and sewer projects, in accordance with the City’s Procurement Manual. 9 proposals were received. The proposals were reviewed and scored by a committee comprised of City Hall and Public Works employees in accordance with the following criteria:
A. Proposed Project Manager 30 points
B. Proposed Project Team 45 points
C. References 10 points
D. Cost 15 points
Maximum Score 100 points
Based on the scoring of the committee, ____________________ was determined to be the most qualified large firm. ______________________ was determined to be the most qualified smaller firm.
Recommendations: The City Council pass a resolution awarding a term contract for professional engineering services for water and sewer projects to____________________ ; and _____________________.