A Resolution of the City Council of Homer, Alaska, Amending the Homer Public Library Policies, Fines and Fees Policy, for Overdue Items, Photocopies, Library Cards, Interlibrary Loan, Replacement and Damage Charges, and Digital Devices. City Clerk/Library Director.
CITY OF HOMER
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF HOMER, ALASKA, AMENDING THE HOMER PUBLIC LIBRARY POLICIES, FINES AND FEES POLICY, FOR OVERDUE ITEMS, PHOTOCOPIES, LIBRARY CARDS, INTERLIBRARY LOAN, REPLACEMENT AND DAMAGE CHARGES, AND DIGITAL DEVICES.
WHEREAS, The Library Advisory Board reviewed and approved amendments to the Fines and Fees Policy for overdue items, photocopies, interlibrary loan, replacement and damage charges, and digital devices; and
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the City Council hereby amends the Homer Public Library Fines and Fees Policy as follows:
HOMER PUBLIC LIBRARY
FINES AND FEES POLICY
The Homer Public Library is supported by the City of Homer. In addition, the library receives a Public Library Assistance Grant annually from the State Library. All basic library services are provided free of charge. However, in order to cover costs of selected special services and to recoup losses due to user neglect/abuse, the following fees are charged:
Overdue fines are assessed on items that are kept beyond their return due date.
• .15 cents per day for every day overdue for fourteen-day and twenty-one day circulation.
• 14-day and 21-one day circulation (except digital devices): $0.15 for every day overdue.
• $1.00 per every day overdue for three-day seven-day and one-day circulation.
• 7-day and 1-day circulation: $1.00 for every day overdue.
• Interlibrary Loan materials: $1.00 for every day overdue.
• Digital devices: $5.00 for every day overdue.
• $1.00 per notice for a Second Overdue Notice.
• Second Overdue Notice: $1.00.
• $1.00 per notice for a Bill Notice from City Hall.
• Bill Notice: $1.00 per notice.
• Bills sent to collection agency: $25.00 finance charge for collection agency payments administrative fee.
• $0.15 cents per page side for standard and legal size paper.
• $0.25 cents per sheet side for two-sided copies, and 11x14 11”x17” size paper.
• $1.00 per side for standard and legal size color copies.
• $2.00 per side for 11”x17” color copies.
• $5.00 for replacement of library card.
• $10.00 (non-refundable) for Temporary Card.
• $50.00 ($10.00 $40.00 refundable) for Family Temporary Card.
The following fees will be charged for interlibrary loan requests to cover shipping costs:
• $2.00 per item for standard size books.
• $0.15 per page for photocopy reproductions, (only if printing or fax is required).
• $4.00 per item requiring (require Priority Mail), such as for microfilm, videos, CDs, and audios.
Mailing costs may exceed these amounts for non-standard items. Circumstances that warrant additional charges include postal rates outside the United States, unusually large or heavy items, rare items that need insurance, and charges imposed by lending libraries.
Replacement and Damage Charges (Per Item).
• Lost items: Full replacement cost plus a $7.00 processing charge for lost items, including books, videotapes, and audiotapes.
• Lost maps or inserts: $10.00 per item.
• Lost or damaged cases, hang-up bags, etc.: Replacement cost or $2.00, whichever is greater. per item.
• Lost out-of-print items: $50.00 for Alaskana, $40.00 for non-fiction, and $35.00 for fiction, or the full cost of replacement, whichever is greater.
• Damaged item Miscellaneous damage: $1.00 per damaged page, and/or $2.50 per damaged cover.
• Damaged beyond repair: full bindery cost or full replacement cost plus a $7.00 processing charge.
Improper Return of Digital Devices
• $25 fee if not returned to Front Desk staff
Please Note: To receive a refund on a lost item, patrons must return the item within sixty days of lost status. Refunds of payment for items deemed valuable to the collection and returned after the 60 day period may be made at the discretion of the director. No refunds will be given for digital devices.
PASSED AND ADOPTED by the City Council of Homer, Alaska, this 11th day of June, 2012.
CITY OF HOMER
JAMES C. HORNADAY, MAYOR
JO JOHNSON, CMC, CITY CLERK
Fiscal Note: N/A