City of Homer
Planning & Zoning Telephone (907) 235-3106
491 East Pioneer Avenue Fax (907) 235-3118
Homer, Alaska 99603-7645 E-mail Planning@ci.homer.ak.us
Web Site www.ci.homer.ak.us
To: Mayor Wythe and Homer City Council
From: Julie Engebretsen, Planning Technician
Date: April 2, 2013
RE: Resolution 13-xx 2013 Land Allocation Plan
On March, 26, the City Council held a joint work session with all the City Commissions and Library Advisory Board to discuss the 2013 Land Allocation Plan. The outcome of the work session was direction for a resolution on a few lots, discussion about the property at the entrance of Land’s End Resort, and discussion and direction for staff on other parcels. A resolution has been prepared for the adoption of the 2013 Land Allocation Plan.
Actions in Resolution:
1. Remove Lot 20, Homer Spit No. 5 from lands available for lease. Designate for port use, for future travel lift.
2. Designate Homer Spit Subdivision No 6 Velma’s Addition Lot 45-B as End of the Road Park.
Council also adopted on Resolution 13-029, approving a ten year lease for Lot 19 on the Spit. After CC has adopted the resolution, staff will update the Plan with the changes.
Additional Considerations: Land’s End Resort submitted a letter asking for the Council to consider selling Lot 47, Homer Spit Subdivision Amended (C-13). There was no consensus at the work session. If Council wants to dispose of this land, an amendment to the resolution is needed.
Direction to Staff:
1. Short term lease area on Spit (near Ramp 5 and Freight Dock Road). Council requests the Port and Harbor and Parks and Recreation Commissions review this area after the Spit Trial is constructed. Currently, the Port & Harbor Commission would like this area to remain for short term leases, and the Parks and Recreation would like it to be a rest area. The Commissions are requested to review the area after the Spit Trail is constructed and report back with a recommendation to Council in October or November.
2. Research Spit land acquisitions. The Parks and Recreation Commission recommended a designation of public recreation and park for some spit lands. Council requested staff look in to how the land was acquired and any conservation easements or use restrictions.
3. Initiate process to change Adams Drive to Jack Gist Lane (street name change).