21.24.020 Permitted uses and structures.
21.24.030 Conditional uses and structures.
21.24.040 Dimensional requirements.
21.24.050 Site and access plans.
21.24.060 Traffic requirements.
21.24.070 Site development requirements.
21.24.080 Nuisance standards.
21.24.090 Lighting standards.
21.24.010 Purpose. The General Commercial 1 (GC1) District is primarily intended to provide sites for businesses that require direct motor vehicle access and may require larger land area, and to provide business locations in proximity to arterials and transportation centers. It is also intended to minimize congestion and adverse effects on adjacent residential districts and on the appearance of the community. (Ord. 08-29, 2008).
21.24.020 Permitted uses and structures. The following uses are permitted outright in the General Commercial 1 District, except when such use requires a conditional use permit by reason of size, traffic volumes, or other reasons set forth in this chapter.
a. Air charter operations and floatplane tie-up facilities;
b. General business offices and professional offices;
c. Dwelling units located in buildings primarily devoted to business uses;
d. Auto repair;
e. Auto and trailer sales or rental areas;
f. Auto fueling stations and drive-in car washes;
g. Building supply and equipment sales and rentals;
h. Restaurants, including drive-in restaurants, clubs and drinking establishments;
i. Garden supplies and greenhouses;
j. Heavy equipment and truck sales, rentals, service and repair;
k. Hotels and motels;
m. Boat and marine equipment sales, rentals, service and repair;
o. Open air businesses;
p. Parking lots and parking garages, in accordance with HCC Chapter 7.12.
q. Manufacturing of electronic equipment, electrical devices, pottery, ceramics, musical instruments, toys, novelties, small molded products and furniture;
r. Publishing, printing and bookbinding;
s. Recreation vehicle sales, rental, service and repair;
t. Retail businesses;
u. Trade, skilled or industrial schools;
v. Wholesale businesses, including storage and distribution services incidental to the products to be sold;
w. Welding and mechanical repair;
x. Parks and open space;
y. Appliance sales and service;
z. Warehousing, commercial storage and mini-storage;
aa. Banks, savings and loans, credit unions and other financial institutions;
bb. Customary accessory uses to any of the permitted uses listed in the GC1 district, provided that no separate permit shall be issued for the construction of any type of accessory building prior to that of the main building;
cc. Dry cleaning, laundry, and self-service laundries;
dd. Taxi operation;
ee. Mobile food services;
ff. Itinerant merchants, provided all activities shall be limited to uses permitted outright under this zoning district;
gg. Recreational vehicle parks, provided they shall conform to the standards in HCC § 21.55.090.
hh. Day care homes, provided that a conditional use permit was obtained for the dwelling, if required by HCC § 21.24.030; all outdoor play areas must be fenced.
ii. Rooming house and bed and breakfast.
kk. As an accessory use, one small wind energy system per lot.(Ord. 09-34(A) §16 (part, 2009; Ord. 08-29, 2008).
21.24.030 Conditional uses and structures. The following uses may be permitted in the General Commercial 1 District when authorized by conditional use permit issued in accordance with HCC Chapter 21.71:
c. Multiple family dwelling;
d. Public utility facility or structure;
e. Mobile home parks;
f. Planned unit developments;
h. Pipelines and railroads;
j. Shelter for the homeless, provided any lot used for such shelter does not abut an RO, RR, or UR zoning district;
k. More than one building containing a permitted principal use on a lot.
l. Day care facilities; provided, however, that outdoor play areas must be fenced.
m. Other uses approved pursuant to HCC § 21.04.020.
n. Indoor recreational facilities;
o. Outdoor recreational facilities. (Ord. 08-29, 2008).
21.24.040 Dimensional requirements. The following dimensional requirements shall apply to all structures and uses in the General Commercial 1 District:
a. Lot Size. The minimum lot size is 10,000 square feet.
b. Building Setbacks.
1. All buildings shall be set back 20 feet from all dedicated rights-of-way. Alleys are not subject to a 20 foot setback requirement. The setback requirements from any lot line abutting an alley will be determined by the dimensional requirements of subparagraphs (2) and (3) below;
2. Buildings shall be set back five feet from all other lot boundary lot lines unless adequate firewalls are provided and adequate access to the rear of the building is otherwise provided (e.g., alleyways) as defined by the State Fire Code and enforced by the State Fire Marshal;
3. Any attached or detached accessory building shall maintain the same yards and setbacks as the main building.
c. Building Height. The maximum building height shall be 35 feet.
d. No lot shall contain more than 8,000 square feet of building area (all buildings combined), nor shall any lot contain building area in excess of 30 percent of the lot area without an approved conditional use permit.
e. Building Area and Dimensions ‑ Retail and Wholesale.
1. In that area south of Beluga Lake, identified as the Ocean Drive GC1: The total square feet of floor area of retail and wholesale business uses within a single building shall not exceed 75,000 square feet.
2. In that area east of Alder Lane, identified as the East End Road GC1: the total square feet of floor area of retail and wholesale business uses within a single building shall not shall not exceed 75,000 square feet.
3. In that area west of Baycrest Park, identified as Scenic Gateway GC1: the total square feet of floor area of retail and wholesale business uses within a single building shall not exceed 35,000 square feet.
4. No conditional use permit, Planned Unit Development, or variance may be granted that would allow a building to exceed the limits of these subparagraphs (e)(1), (2) and (3) and no nonconforming use or structure may be expanded in any manner that would increase its nonconformance with the limits of subparagraphs (e)(1), (2) and (3).
f. Screening. When one or more side or rear lot lines abut land within an RO, RR, or UR district or when a side or rear yard area is to be used for parking, loading, unloading or servicing, then those side and rear yard areas shall be effectively screened by a wall, fence, or other sight-obscuring screening. Such screening shall be of a height adequate to screen activity on the lot from outside view by a person of average height standing at street level. (Ord. 08-29, 2008; Ord. 08-30(S)(A) §1 part, 2008; Ord. 08-40 §2, part, 2008).
21.24.050 Site and Access Plans. a. A zoning permit for any use or structure within the General Commercial 1 District shall not be issued by the City without a level one site plan approved by the City under HCC Chapter 21.73.
b. No zoning permit may be granted for any use or structure without a level two right‑of‑way access plan approved by the City under HCC § 21.73.100. (Ord. 08-29, 2008).
21.24.060 Traffic Requirements. A conditional use permit is required for every use that is estimated or expected to generate traffic in excess of the criteria contained in HCC § 21.18.060. (Ord. 08-29, 2008).
21.24.070 Site Development Requirements. All development on lands in this district shall conform to the level two site development standards set forth in HCC § 21.50.030. (Ord. 08-29, 2008).
21.24.080 Nuisance standards. The nuisance standards of HCC § 21.59.010 apply to all development, uses, and structures in this zoning district. (Ord. 08-29, 2008).
21.24.090 Lighting Standards. The level one lighting standards of HCC § 21.59.030 apply to all development, uses, and structures in this zoning district. (Ord. 08-29, 2008).