Burn Permits

If you live within Homer city limits, burn permits are required year round and can be obtained at the Homer Volunteer Fire Dept., Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm. Permits are free-of-charge and are issued for up to one year.

If you live outside of Homer city limits, you’re governed by the State of Alaska, Division of Forestry and are required to have a State burn permit April 1st through August 31st. You can obtain a State burn permit on-line at www.forestry.alaska.gov/burn or at the Division of Forestry, Homer office, on Kachemak Drive, 235-7734. For additional information, you can contact Soldotna Division of Forestry at 907-260-4200.

Camping, Cooking, and Warming Fires - Please make sure your fire is within a well established fire pit that is 3 feet or less in diameter, is built on soil, sand, or gravel, and has a minimum of 10 feet of clearance around the fire, free of any combustible materials. Adequate containers of water need to be present to completely extinguish the fire in case the winds come up or when the occupants leave the area.

Burn Barrels - AS OF 2016 THE STATE OF ALASKA REQUIRES OPEN BURNING PERMITS FOR BURN BARRELS.  Specific information regarding the burn barrels and burn barrel safety can be found at http://www.forestry.alaska.gov/burn/index.cfm?fuseaction=public.doShowBu...

The use of burn barrels for the burning of yard debris and some organic types of trash (no plastics, rubber, or petroleum based materials) require an Open Burning Permit. These permits, like all open burning permits, are available at the Homer Fire Station during regular business hours.

Firewise Alaska - For a FREE defensible space inspection of your property on the southern Kenai Peninsula, please contact Darren Finley, Fire Prevention Officer, at Soldotna Division of Forestry, 907-260-4260. Trained technicians will be happy to schedule an appointment with you to visit your property – they can help you determine your hazards and give suggestions on how to reduce your risks.

Firewise Alaska booklets and brochures are available, at no charge, at the Homer Volunteer Fire Department.