Planning and Zoning staff are available to help you through the permit process, to save you time, money and effort! Contact us early and often when planning your project.
Planning and Zoning staff issue several types of permits. The City of Homer does not have a building inspection program and does not issue building permits. Click here for more information. However, Zoning permits are required prior to clearing, developing property, and new construction, including additions. Small accessory buildings such as tool sheds and greenhouses, under 200 square feet, detached from a main building, may be exempt from permitting but must still meet setback requirements. Still not sure if you need a permit? Give us a call or check out our brochure.
Stream-lined Residential permits include:
- Zoning permit Application
- Driveway Permit through Public Works. 435-3129
- Water/sewer permits through Public Works 435-3129
Wetlands: Filling and building in wetlands requires a ACOE permit:
- The Kenai Peninsula Borough Geographic Information System (GIS) website is a good place to view the KPB's wetland mapping. If you are filling and building within a designated wetland an Army Corp of Eng. (ACOE) wetland permit is required. Fortunately the ACOE wetland permit is free. Once the ACOE receives your complete application, allow 30 days for approval. ACOE checklist: Page 1 & 2 is the checklist. Page 4 is a sample site plan.
Before you built in the flood zone, you’ll need a Flood Development Permit. The flood maps are available online, or stop by the Planning Office where staff can help determine if your proposed development is in the floodplain.
Commercial and larger residential projects require the above, and may also require:
- State fire marshal certification is needed prior to constructing a commercial buildings.
- Development Activity Plan on the management of erosion and sediment during construction.
- Storm Water Plan (NOT the same as a state SWPPP for disturbing an acre or more) may also be required.
- Fire Marshal Approval Letter is often needed for existing commercial buildings (7-years or older) that have not had a previous Fire Marshal Plan Review.
Zoning Permit: will only be issued when all other permits have been acquired and submitted to the Planning Office. If everything is in order, permits are typically issued within 5-10 working days.
Conditional Use Permit: If your project requires a Conditional Use Permit or other approvals that require a public hearing before the Planning Commission, generally add at least two months to the timeline. Planning staff can discuss your specific project and timeline with you.
ACOE, Army Corps of Engineers, Kenai Office (907) 753-2689. Here’s the link to the:
- ACOE application.
- ACOE checklist. Page 1&2 has the checklist. Scroll down to pg. 4 for a sample drawing.
Homer Public Works for driveway, water and sewer permits 235-3170
State of Alaska DOT, driveway permits along state roads epermit system, or call 1-800-770-5263
Alaska State Fire Marshal Phone: (907) 269-5604
Other Service Providers. This list is provided for your convenience; the City of Homer does not verify the qualifications of these businesses. * denotes a local business in the Homer area. Other firms listed are located in the Kenai and Soldotna area.
*Ability Surveys, Gary Nelson 235-8440 surveying
*Seth Andersen, P.E. 907-441-5772 Structural, Civil & DAP and SWP
*Alaska Infrared, Bill Walker 235-6838, 399-7707 Infrared inspections of roofs, walls for air and water leaks. Radon testing.
*Andress, Gus, PE 226-2476 BioCycle and septic design, DAP and SWP plans
*Patrick Church 235-7388 Surveying, as-builts
*Seabright Surveying 235-4247 Survey, engineering, DAP, SWP project permitting
*Mullikin Surveys 235-8975 Surveying
McLane Consultants 283-4218 Survey, engineering, DAP, SWP
Nelson and Associates 283-3583 Survey, engineering, DAP, SWP project permitting
Taurianen Engineering 262-4624 Engineering, DAP, SWP, drafting
*Coble Geophysical 235-1066 Geophysical research and consulting (ground water studies, erosion, etc)
*USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, 238-8177 Soil and natural resource consultants
*Dutch Boy Landscaping 235-7140 Landscaping
*Garden by Design 235-1900 Landscaping and design
*Ground Control 235-1521 Hydroseeding and landscaping
Private Building Inspectors and Energy Raters
*Ted Veal 235-7461 Energy Rater
*Bill Steyer 399-1078 Energy Rater, Residential and Commercial
*Franco Venuti 235-7480 Residential & Commercial Building Inspector
Wisdom and Associates 235-6045 Residential & Commercial Building Inspector,Energy Rater
*Peninsula Home Inspections 756-1979 Residential Inspector